Thomas Viaduct Middle School PTSA
October 3, 2017; Media Center | Meeting called to order by President Stephanie Cascone at 6:06PM
General Membership Meeting Attendees
Quorum Established: There was a total of 16 present.
Officers Present: Stephanie Cascone, Pamela Williams, Jude Aidam, and Cherlita Honeycutt
Guest Speakers: Valerie Harvey, HoCo Adolescent Resource Specialist, from the Office of Children and Families; Wendy McNeil, TVMS Media Specialist.
Approval of Minutes
Cherlita Honeycutt, Secretary, presented the minutes from September’s meeting. The minutes were accepted as presented.
Pamela Williams, Treasurer, distributed the budget and went over the expenses. The budget was reviewed and approved by the board and PTSA members during September’s meeting. (Budget attached)
Principal Shiney Ann John presented her report:
- Thank you to the PTSA for the Staff Breakfast and the Wolf Rally.
- First school to achieve 100% family file completion.
- Encourage students to join the PTSA and attend the meetings. We need kids’ perspectives.
- The SGA is running elections on 10/18/17. The students learned about the SGA in Den.
- We need a Student Delegate to represent TVMS in April 2018 at the Delegate Convention. Students need to fill out a form located on the school’s website to apply and they will need two teacher recommendations.
- Back to School Night for Hispanic families will be held in Spanish. Jose, our Spanish Achievement Liaison, is running the event.
- MAP testing is on 10/5, 10/6, 10/12, and 10/13. MAP testing will only be given two times this school year instead of three.
- 10/13/17 – White Cane Day for the visually impaired.
- 10/18/17 – Picture Day.
- 10/19/17 – Denim and Diamonds school dance. Students must submit a permission slip for the dance. There is no charge for the dance; in lieu of money, we are encouraging students to donate a non-perishable food for Grass Roots. See Sign-up Genius for volunteer opportunities to help with the dance.
- 10/31/17 – Pink Out Day for breast cancer awareness.
- 11/9/17 – After School Program begins. There will be 3-5 more busses available. There is also more funding available to expand the program (e.g. Homework club).
- Alpha Staff of the month – see form on our website to nominate staff members (http://tvms.hcpss.org/about/staff-award)
- TVMS will be launching the MESA Program this year. The MESA School Program (MSP) supports pre-college students (mostly in middle and senior high schools) to excel in math and science and go on to college as majors in STEM fields.
- VP1 Activities (vacant) – Activities Goal: 2 for this school year.
- VP2 Fundraising (vacant) – pending projects
- Quarter Auction – March/April 2018
- Paint Night – November: We need to choose 3 dates; $15/ticket. Tracy A. will lead.
- Custom Sunglasses
- Shoe Drive
- Used Clothing Recycle (Turnkey) – Ongoing
- Amazon Smile – Ongoing
- Equity and Excellence Roundtable Night – in development
- Every Child in Focus – Hispanic Heritage Month (9/15 – 10/15/17)
Other Positions & Board of Directors
PTACHC Delegate Update (1 vacancy)
- APFO redistricting timeline
- Community Advisory Committee (CAC) developed to give feedback from the community to the BOE (PTSA is looking for a delegate)
- Special Education Citizens Advisory Council to assist MD families with issues in Special Ed (PTSA is looking for a delegate).
Watch D.O.G.S. – Jude Aidam initiated this program which should be launched on 10/26/17 but we will work together to launch the program sooner.
Open Positions – we would like to have 2 members/committee
- Reflections Chair
- Membership Chair
Membership Update – We currently have over 140 members; our goal is to have 200 members.
- Sunshine Families – we need a family to sign-up for June 2018.
- November Staff Dinner – Monday, 11/20/17: Carol H. will lead.
- Teacher Appreciation Week – Deborah M. will lead.
Agenda (1 page)
The Family Institute Flyer (1 page)
Budget – Developed 10/2/17 (2 pages)
Alpha Staff of the Month Flyer (2 pages)
PTACHC Delegate Report (2 pages)
Next meeting is on November 7, 2017; TVMS Media Center; 6:00PM.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:25PM
Minutes prepared by Cherlita Honeycutt, PTSA Secretary.